The Model Health Show
A new study links frequent napping to high blood pressure and an increased risk of having a stroke. This research might alarm you, especially if you’re someone who enjoys taking naps. However, taking naps isn’t inherently bad. The problem is that taking frequent naps may indicate a deeper underlying issue: poor sleep quality at night.
Sleep is a critical part of your overall health, and not getting enough high-quality sleep can lead to a myriad of problems, including increased risk for multiple chronic illnesses. On this episode of The Model Health Show, we’re going to dive into the science of napping and overall sleep hygiene. You’re going to learn about how sleep debt works, and how it can impact your health. You’ll also learn about sleep cycles, the function of melatonin, and the optimal way to nap.
Most importantly, we’re going to cover specific things you can do to improve your sleep quality so that you can be well-rested and healthy. You’ll learn how to optimize your sleep environment, how to improve your melatonin production, and so much more. So click play, listen in, and enjoy the show!
In this episode you’ll discover:
- The correlation between taking naps and having high blood pressure.
- How insufficient sleep can contribute to your risk of developing chronic illnesses.
- The two kinds of sleep debt.
- How short-term sleep debt can contribute to insulin resistance.
- What effects sleep deprivation can have on your decision-making skills.
- Why sleeping too little can influence your cravings and hunger hormones.
- How ghrelin and leptin are impacted by sleep deprivation.
- The dangers of accruing a long-term sleep debt.
- An important distinction between nap frequency and nap duration.
- How long your nap should be to reap the most benefits.
- What sleep inertia is.
- The prerequisites for making melatonin.
- What sleep cycles are and how they work
- How to determine the best time of day to take a nap.
- The wide range of biological processes that are driven by melatonin.
- How to improve your sleep quality by optimizing your evening routine.
- The biggest culprit in disturbing our sleep.
- How using your phone at night can impact your melatonin production.
- The relationship between temperature and sleep quality.
- Why it’s so important to get sun exposure during the day.
- The bottom line about taking naps.
Items mentioned in this episode include:
- Foursigmatic.com/model -- Get an exclusive 10% discount on your daily health elixirs!
- Ettitude.com/model -- Use the coupon code model15 for 15% off organic bedding!
- Biggest Mistakes People Make When Trying to Get a Good Night’s Sleep – Episode 580
Join TMHS Facebook community - Model Nation
Be sure you are subscribed to this podcast to automatically receive your episodes: